Outcomes of the PBG call (Americas/Asia) last week on EPUB.next

Dear Publishing Steering Committee members,

Prior to the discussion about EPUB.next on October 27, please be advised that here are the comments about “EPUB.next” as expressed at the PBG Americas/Japan-Asia meeting last week as noticed in the email below. Some additional comments and thoughts given from the PBG Japanese members after the call are also included here, for your reference.

All confirmed the following:
Preserving the current EPUB ecosystem is essential. Backward compatibilities shall be maintained at any circumstances and change of the specs.
Discussion for the future of digital publishing is welcome, provided, however, it shall not be subject to the scope of EPUB; i.e. current zip container based package basis.
Publishing business opportunities and business models will continue to be varied amongst trade, magazine and education. Whether any standard can embrace all the publishing verticals is not clear. It will depend on content, occasions of reading, reading systems and user needs.
EPUB is valuable in the sense that it is designed and built to faithfully reproduce print version of the very book content. Nonetheless, given the evolution of digital media and ways of users’ access to content, majority of which is being done on smart phones (especially, in Japan), born digital publications will be expanded which might not relate to the EPUB specifications. A typical case of non-EPUB is web comics, vertical scrolling web based comic content, which is getting to be popular around the world. Thus, any next generation digital publishing content could be originated outside of the realm of EPUB.
Digital book publications may be generated by utilizing non-publishing sourced content such as games, videos, etc. Also, authors and publishers might consider digital publications outside of the traditional print book editorial process, which could encompass all the media materials including texts, graphics, videos, music, audio, gamification, etc. It might be considered that optimizing any web technologies for such “new” digital publications is the basis, which will not stay within the scope of EPUB.
Suggested after PBGt call:
Business models could be varied such as those respectively for downloading model, subscription, lending, free-viewing with ads, etc, similar to what has been happening around other digital media like video, music, etc.
The business needs for the publishing industry should be first discussed such as the place like PBG. It might be worthwhile to do some study (like survey) amongst the publishing industry concerned and users to hear the voices clear.
Discussion of standards for digital publishing is important. Nonetheless, it might not make sense creatively and business-wise that expecting one standard will do all amongst trade, magazine, education and any other publishing sector. A standard per each publishing sector might be more practical.
Recently, NFT based publishing products made available (in Japan by Media Do at its own NFT publishing centric marketplace “Fan Top”), which are sourcing from the book and/or magazine materials packaged with the sourcing publications as if value adds. This seems to be one of the new “digital publishing” case. Consumers reacted strongly and the NFT offerings are getting to be popular. A standard spec to define this kind of newly developed digital publishing products may be subject to combined technologies. It may well be regarded close to Web of Things or just a combined web technologies.
Some publishing form might become popular instantaneously, provided, the industry needs to observe if it stays or not.
The importance and value of EPUB is definitely considered that it gave a stability to the publishing industry. We also need to give attention seriously to give continued users satisfactions, which shall be secured by the maintenance of the current EPUB ecosystem.

Best,

Daihei
On behalf of PBG co-chairs