Re: Any thoughts about new people joininging the community group?

Hi George,

From a purely practical angle, I would recommend new members to join the EPUB 3 CG for now. We are in the process of renaming the EPUB 3 CG as the Publishing CG. Members currently registered only in the Publishing CG will need to re-register in the newly renamed group, but existing EPUB 3 CG members will not.

I am working on a draft of the Publishing CG charter to guide us as we spin up this new organization scheme—that will, of course, be shared with others in the steering committee for feedback when ready. My schedule has been delayed by COVID and other things that have disrupted us all, but I’m still aiming to have a daft ready by the next steering committee call.

The plan, as you noted, is to organize individual domains and activities as task forces within the Publishing CG. The EPUB 3 community will be one of these, with the exception of REC-track work, which will be taken up by the new EPUB 3 Working Group.

Best,
Mateus

From: "kerscher@montana.com" <kerscher@montana.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:47 PM
To: "PBG Steering Committee (Public)" <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Any thoughts about new people joininging the community group?

EXTERNAL EMAIL
Hello,

When people ask about joining the community group, should I suggest they wait? I am thinking about the timing of merging of the groups.

Do we have a timeline?
It sounds like the CG will organize itself by creating named task forces that meet on their own schedule.

I have several developers who are very  interested in creating interactive features, which reminds me of the Widget sub-group from a half dozen years ago. This also relates to the work at IMS Global, that I know nothing about.
Guidance welcome.

Best
George

George Kerscher Ph.D.
-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.
Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium
http://www.daisy.org

Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech
http://www.benetech.org

President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)
http://www.idpf.org

Member of the National Museum and Library Services  Board (IMLS)
http://www.imls.gov

Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), a division of the W3C
http://www.w3c.org/wai

Phone: +1 406/549-4687
Cell:+1 406/544-2466
Email: kerscher@montana.com<mailto:kerscher@montana.com>