Re: Objections to EPUB

Good morning George,

Windows 10 has no default EPUB reader but last year Microsoft has put in place a discovery mechanism by which a user, when double-clicking on a .epub file (and if his PC is connected to the Internet), is sent to a page of the Windows Store where two accessible Windows reading applications are proposed for download:
- Thorium Reader from EDRLab, based on the Readium toolkit (free)
- EasyReader from Dolphin (~ USD 50).

I cannot check this is still in place, as I have no fresh Windows install on my desk, but I can say that the analytics for Thorium on Windows do not show an avalanche of downloads from the Window Store, meaning that whatever is in place does not convince people installing an EPUB reading app. I'll come back to the Microsoft team we were in touch with as soon as the new Thorium v1.4 is released, with support for EPUB Media Overlay and a good TTS experience.

Best regards,

Laurent Le Meur
CTO EDRLab