RE: F2F agenda ideas

Hello all,

I’ll be taking off for Hawaii at the same time as the meeting starts. If it is on Zoom, perhaps it can be recorded and send me the link of the recording after.

Some of my thoughts.

As some may recall, NIST started the development and called the meetings, and once we got to a 1.0 they declared victory and got out of it.

It is at that time that the OEBF formed, and later became the IDPF.

It certainly was a trade organization to serve the publishing industry. IMO this is a limiting factor that should be addressed at some point. In the survey, I put in a few sections relating to Education and corporate and governmental publishing, and that is just a start. Everybody needs to be able to use publishing Standards. This is where PDF shines in that anybody can produce a PDF. However, both Web Publications and packaged content for offline use is needed. We have a lot going for us in EPUB 3, and we should capitalize on that excellent work.  there are things that are in EPUB 3 that should be fixed, and our survey hopefully will tease out some of these things.

The W3C is broader than companies that make money through publishing, and I believe we should water our roots with those players, and broaden our reach to encompass all areas of online and offline publishing. If we can take some of the mystery out of EPUB, I think it will help adoption. DAISY has a WordToEPUB tool available today, and we will be promoting that more broadly in the next few months. This will help to bring publishing to the common person. Recall that the birth of the WYSIWYG word processors  predated PDF, and having a faithful printing of what was in the WYSIWYG editor is what people wanted. Today, people want to publish to the web and to EPUB 3 (they don’t know it yet) and also generate that file for printing.

Accessibility has been a major victory, and it is wonderful to see this. We need to keep that momentum going with online publishing and offline packaged content. The legal demand for accessible published documents is real, and doing this by retrofitting PDF is a real mess. We can clean up that mess.

One of the reasons for promoting Readium was the problem of IDPF’s approach which published a specification (standard) and then waited for implementation. Here too, the W3C’s newer model of having a Recommendation having two implementations is a better approach. I guess this issue will be addressed in the To-Rec-or-not-to-Rec discussion. For me, it Shure would be great to have two EPUB Readers I could take to the bank for reading. Right now with HTML I have Chrome and Firefox that fills this role. Thorium is getting close. Here too, if Online and offline publishing was integrated into the fabric of society, then there would be default Reading Systems on all platforms. I would love to see high school teachers have their students producing fully accessible documents, which would make accessibility less of a mystery.

I’m rambling, sigh.

I am totally on board with the notion of having this decade become the roaring 20’s for Born Accessible publishing.

Best

George