Re: Next PubSC call, EPBUBCheck dev status

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:40 PM Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

> On 12/12/2019 11:58 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> Can we also get an update on the survey for future EPUB features?
>>

> I've been doing a lot of work on this. The draft is available at:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZLAIgAH7hoWo56uov3QN2-jaMY6MaWQKJrAys1GwDdY/edit#
>
> As the questionnaire points out, " feel free to skip any questions".
>
> Here is my interpretation of that remark. We recognize that we have many
> different audiences and our questions are at different levels of detail.
> Some communities might have a lot to say about some questions and might not
> even understand other questions.
>
> I wonder whether we can structure this differently. I suspect that there
> are a set of questions (e.g. 1-5, some accessibility questions (of 33-41),
> maybe one open-ended question: what features would you like to see added to
> EPUB?) that should go to everyone. Perhaps we can construct four partially
> overlapping questionnaires which all start with these mandatory questions,
> and then has separate branches for creators, publishers, retailers, or
> readers)?

Having branches dramatically increases the complexity of creating the
survey, and makes the categorization of questions much more consequential.
And particularly in EPUB, there's a lot of overlap. I represent a
publisher. I am sometimes an EPUB creator.  I am a consumer of EPUB. I
build toy reading systems. I think hiding questions from people might make
the survey appear shorter, but I don't think it would increase the quality
of the answers we get.

Dave