W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-publishing-sc@w3.org > November 2018

RE: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal

From: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 10:56:29 -0700
To: "'Bill Kasdorf'" <kasdorf.bill@gmail.com>, "'Liisa''" <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>
Cc: "'Luc Audrain'" <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>, "'Ivan Herman'" <ivan@w3.org>, "'Johnson, Rick'" <rick.johnson@vitalsource.com>, "'PBG Steering Committee \(Public\)'" <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Message-ID: <000a01d47855$8adbf050$a093d0f0$@montana.com>
I agree with Bill. I would love to be part of the group, but I have been over committed recently and I don’t want to slow the group down. I will certainly review output from the group.
Regarding accessibility, I believe the group gets it; I would not need to be there as a reminder about accessibility. That is a compliment!
From: Bill Kasdorf <kasdorf.bill@gmail.com> 
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 10:22 AM
To: Liisa' <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>
Cc: Luc Audrain <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>; Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>; Johnson, Rick <rick.johnson@vitalsource.com>; PBG Steering Committee (Public) <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal
I think you've got an ideal group to be effective on this. Having the public transparency lets others weigh in when they want to. Unless somebody else steps forward in response to your latest email, Liisa, I think you should get going with that group. It's the right size to get good discussion while still getting things done.
On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM McCloy-Kelley, Liisa <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com <mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> > wrote:
public-publishing-bg-epubrec-tf ? 
Any other takers? You know this is going to be fun…
From: AUDRAIN LUC <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr <mailto:LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr> >
Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org <mailto:ivan@w3.org> >, "McCloy-Kelley, Liisa" <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com <mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> >
Cc: Rick Johnson <rick.johnson@vitalsource.com <mailto:rick.johnson@vitalsource.com> >, W3C Publishing Steering Committee <public-publishing-sc@w3.org <mailto:public-publishing-sc@w3.org> >
Subject: Re: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal
I’m ok with a temporary mailing list. 
If transparency is important, your second option seems more interesting. 

De : Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org <mailto:ivan@w3.org> >
Envoyé : vendredi, novembre 9, 2018 5:35 PM
À : McCloy-Kelley, Liisa
Cc : Rick Johnson; W3C Publishing Steering Committee
Objet : Re: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal 
Actually, also in view of the fact that the very existence of the SC is sometimes questioned (see the other mail of Rick[1]) I think we should not simply reuse the SC. Let us avoid unnecessary controversies. I should have thought of that earlier. 
So let me set up a separate (hopefully short lived, ie, 1-2 months…) mailing list. It would be open, ie, anybody can read the archives. The options that we have, from the top of my head:
- anybody can simply subscribe by sending a simple "subscribe" mail or does it have to be done by me explicitly? (I would propose 'no', it should be an explicit request to the mailing list, and I would take care of the mechanics)
- anybody can send a mail to the list, or only those who are already subscribed? (I would propose to leave it open to anyone who want to propose something, although that may open us up to spams in spite of the anti-spam measures that w3c have)
I will have a call soon, you guys can have fun finding a name for the list; the only restriction is that it should begin by "public-", in line with the naming conventions we have.
[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-publishing-sc/2018Nov/0007.html <https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.w3.org%2FArchives%2FPublic%2Fpublic-publishing-sc%2F2018Nov%2F0007.html&data=02%7C01%7Claudrain%40hachette-livre.fr%7C47bb43a80ab94546de7f08d646614c3b%7Cf881a2c50a89483181b1c7846c49594d%7C1%7C0%7C636773781037387481&sdata=YIl7BnkldWEBrT6yoAxFuDsA1OU2EaOATlc6pKQNZDI%3D&reserved=0> 
On 9 Nov 2018, at 17:23, McCloy-Kelley, Liisa <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com <mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> > wrote:
No assumption that it would be ONLY SC members. If someone else wants to participate, they are welcome. I do think we need to try to keep the group small enough to not get loaded down. Our goal is to bring forward proposals that the larger BG could weigh in on. The looseness of the discussion right now makes it hard to move towards decisions.
Ivan and I were just talking about the fact that we want this collaboration on proposals to happen in a W3C visible place so that there is transparency. We were debating whether we need another mailing list or if enough of the SC want to help, we could use this one. 
I’m responding to your other thread in a few minutes…
From: "Johnson, Rick" < <mailto:Rick.Johnson@vitalsource.com> Rick.Johnson@vitalsource.com>
Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 11:19 AM
To: "McCloy-Kelley, Liisa" < <mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>, W3C Publishing Steering Committee < <mailto:public-publishing-sc@w3.org> public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal
Is there an assumption that only current SC members would participate?
(just wondering if the wider community (WG, BG, or CG) might have someone we would want… and also wondering about my earlier email about the future of the SC itself)
From: "McCloy-Kelley, Liisa" < <mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>
Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:38 PM
To: W3C Publishing Steering Committee < <mailto:public-publishing-sc@w3.org> public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: [External] Small Group for Rec Track Proposal
Resent-From: < <mailto:public-publishing-sc@w3.org> public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Resent-Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:38 PM
At the PBG meeting earlier this week, it was floated that we form a small group to try to put together a proposal (or maybe some choices) for how we might proceed with EPUB and Rec Track.
Ivan, Garth, Tzviya, Liisa and Luc stepped up to work on this.
Ivan pointed out that we should see if anyone else wants to help or whether this should be a full SC effort.
I’d like to get a public email group setup if we are going to do this in a smaller group than the SC so that we can have visibility and get that discussion going and possibly a call set for next week if we think we could move faster by actually talking. 

Ivan Herman, W3C 
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/ <https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FPeople%2FIvan%2F&data=02%7C01%7Claudrain%40hachette-livre.fr%7C47bb43a80ab94546de7f08d646614c3b%7Cf881a2c50a89483181b1c7846c49594d%7C1%7C0%7C636773781037397490&sdata=hegDaVquLRtah%2BbmODxnLNm0jtYv3imBp9Idpmr6E8M%3D&reserved=0> 
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704 <https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Forcid.org%2F0000-0003-0782-2704&data=02%7C01%7Claudrain%40hachette-livre.fr%7C47bb43a80ab94546de7f08d646614c3b%7Cf881a2c50a89483181b1c7846c49594d%7C1%7C0%7C636773781037397490&sdata=tCdJITm1DAtfACSst%2BJR2PqXWdpjGRR0cv7nYrdJrL8%3D&reserved=0> 

Bill Kasdorf
Principal, Kasdorf & Associates, LLC
Founding Partner, Publishing Technology Partners <https://pubtechpartners.com/> 
kasdorf.bill@gmail.com <mailto:kasdorf.bill@gmail.com> 
+1 734-904-6252
ISNI:  <http://isni.org/isni/0000000116490786> http://isni.org/isni/0000000116490786
ORCiD: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7002-4786 <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7002-4786?lang=en> 
Received on Friday, 9 November 2018 17:57:06 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:53:30 UTC