From: Bill McCoy <bmccoy@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2018 12:18 PM
To: 'W3C Publishing Steering Committee' <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Cc: 'Karen L Myers' <karen@w3.org>
Subject: have we quantified the EPUBCheck "ask"?

Hi Folks,

Apologies, I was out all last week with limited access. Thanks for progressing inc. setting an agenda for tomorrow’s call.

Apologies as well if I’ve missed it, but have we laid out a concrete (even if rough) “ask” for our hat-passing of financial support of EPUBCheck? Karen Myers has an interested party (major aggregator/distributor of ebooks) and for her to follow up most effectively I think she should be armed with a number (or I guess two numbers – ideal amount for initial contribution + soft commitment to ongoing annual support at a lesser number).

For example I thought we were thinking in terms of asking around $10K (for top level aggregator) plus soft commitment to providing $2K per year ongoing maintenance. But I’m not sure that I got these numbers at all right, and as well as an “ask” maybe we could aim a bit higher, for example asking $20K each from the largest stakeholders? (anyway if we ask $20K we might get $10K, if we ask $10K we might get $5K). Then for the smallest folks we think it worth asking for help, maybe we ask $5K and hope to get $2K now, with not necessarily any even soft commitments as to future maintenance?

As far as the quid pro quo’s for contribution I hadn’t heard that either but we have discussed:

* All funds would be earmarked only for EPUBCheck development
* Funders would be acknowledged on the EPUBCheck github repo as well as on any W3C-hosted official deployment of EPUBCheck (successor to validator.idpf.org)
* Funders (who contribute a minimum of $10K)would get to participate in a task force for steering development priorities

Again if this is already figured out, apologies for missing it. If not I would encourage us to get crisp even if it’s only a best guess. Then we go try to round up some funders (and if we get a couple very quickly, that will help us get more).

Thanks,

--Bill