Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

I do like some of Dave’s suggestions for presentation topics.  And whether they are things that we address at the Summit or in publications we work on together leading up to that, they are some of the gorillas in the room that need addressing.

I think the “From Here to Eternity” concept of how we move from here to there is a really important one. Most of the people I have talked to in trade publishing think that we figured out ebooks. We’re done (ish). They are just another format, like mass market was. They have a really hard time conceiving of how a book lives in the world of the web and has to be maintained over time. Someone in-house recently suggested to me that we need to stop including any URLs in our books- print or e, because links die and are not stable enough to depend on.  That is not a good idea in the world we live in today. Research happens online. References refer to things online. We have to adapt to that.

And as for the audio bit- there is an audio-only ebook format. It’s called EPUB. But no one makes it and no one sells it because the major player in this market isn’t asking for it and the little guys aren’t going to ask for something special, even if it makes for a better consumer experience. We need to find someone to put that stake in the ground. And why more of the long form synced stuff doesn’t exist is that audio books are 1- published with their own agreements and terms from print and 2- are rarely the exact same set of words (we had to re-record and then fix over 180 errors to get an exact match for our interactive Pride & Prejudice) and 3- it’s a lot of processor power to manage long-form synced content and pagination and highlighting from a reading system perspective. So, there are business reasons, content reasons and development reasons why this isn’t a bigger thing. But that is worth discussing, right?

From: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com<mailto:dauwhe@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 7:14 PM
To: Bill McCoy <bmccoy@w3.org<mailto:bmccoy@w3.org>>
Cc: Cristina Mussinelli <cristina.mussinelli@aie.it<mailto:cristina.mussinelli@aie.it>>, "Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken" <tsiegman@wiley.com<mailto:tsiegman@wiley.com>>, "PBG Steering Committee (Public)" <public-publishing-sc@w3.org<mailto:public-publishing-sc@w3.org>>, Karen Myers <karen@w3.org<mailto:karen@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Cristina Mussinelli <cristina.mussinelli@aie.it<mailto:cristina.mussinelli@aie.it>> wrote:

I agree and, on the basis of the experience we have had in Italy while organizing Editech, I also suggest to add some more partecipative and interactive sessions, where participants can discuss and confront on specific topics in a structured way.

I believe the conference should also be an opportunity for us to listen and gather information and suggestions from the people attending, in many cases as skilled and knowledgeable in the field, as many of the speakers.

It came become an occasion to have inputs to better define the priorities of the Business Group.

Yes, yes, yes! This is a great idea!