Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Cristina Mussinelli <
cristina.mussinelli@aie.it> wrote:

> I agree and, on the basis of the experience we have had in Italy while
> organizing Editech, I also suggest to add some more partecipative and
> interactive sessions, where participants can discuss and confront on
> specific topics in a structured way.
>
> I believe the conference should also be an opportunity for us to listen
> and gather information and suggestions from the people attending, in many
> cases as skilled and knowledgeable in the field, as many of the speakers.
>
> It came become an occasion to have inputs to better define the priorities
> of the Business Group.

Yes, yes, yes! This is a great idea!

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Bill McCoy <bmccoy@w3.org> wrote:

>  IF we find we can have multiple breakouts then something more interactive
> would IMO be more practical than if we are 200+ people in one room most or
> all of the 1.5 days.

I don't think a single room is incompatible with interactivity. How about
having a series of panels... maybe four or five people on the panel, with
brief opening statements (ideally provided in advance to the audience)
framing an issue. But then proceed with the audience questioning and
commenting. This could happen in a larger room.

I just don't see much value in a series of presentations. Our problem isn't
that we have various bits of information which other people don't have, and
if only they heard us speak it would all be better. Our problem is that we
need an engaged community to acknowledge and discuss complex issues.
Listening to them will be more productive than lecturing to them.

Some ideas for panels:

[1] The Shock of the New. How can the ebook community respond to
proprietary features introduced in dominant platforms? How do we react to
requests from Amazon to not use features that have been part of EPUB and
the web for decades? How do we react when they add features that EPUB
doesn't support?

[2] The Lowest Common Denominator. Is there, in fact, a subset of EPUB3
that's supported everywhere? We all spend immense effort navigating an
ecosystem where so few things just work. How can we get to an interoperable
world, where we can depend on both the spec and the implementations?

[3] From Here to Eternity. How do we get from EPUB 3 to web books, while
keeping our jobs and staying in business? What would such a transition look
like? How do discontinuities in the ebook world relate to the commandment
"don't break the web"?

[4] EPUB 2027. What would digital books look like in ten years? What do we
imagine we could create with the full open web platform, unlimited JS,
PWAs, web payments, and all the cool stuff?

[5] Can You Hear Me Now? Audio books are a growing market segment, and a
natural fit with Publishing@w3c's roots in accessibility. Should there be
an audio-only ebook format? Is there a market for reflowable ebooks with
synced audio? Why don't more reading systems support reflowable + audio?

Dave