From: Bill McCoy [mailto:bmccoy@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 12:49 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf; 'Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken'; 'Dave Cramer'
Cc: 'Garth Conboy'; 'McCloy-Kelley, Liisa'; 'Karen Myers'; 'W3C Publishing Steering Committee'; 'Karen Myers'
Subject: RE: about the Nov events

Hi BillK,

Just to be clear, in my fodder to Karen for the blurb the mentions of VR and IoT were semi-random, this was just in my mind a  placeholder for something where we would be hinting at (in the marketing pitch) and delivering on (in the content of the event) information about the many things going on around the Open Web Platform that promise to be relevant to publishing (in the broadest sense) that are NOT necessarily already on publishing folks radar (as, hopefully, Accessibility, Annotations, and Rights would be). I wasn't necessarily suggesting that VR and IoT deserved special treatment or even top billing. And I could imagine delving into topics that could be relevant but aren't necessarily focused on specific W3C work areas (for example how Progressive Web Apps are increasingly an alternative to having to develop native mobile and desktop apps on multiple platforms).

So, I solicit comments about this from the SC.

Re: acronyms, I guess my $.02 is that VR is established as a consumer term but IoT should be spelled out... but that's not based on any particular data just a gut feeling...

--Bill