Re: Like any good software project...

Makoto,

there is no obligation to necessarily use the Web Packaging approach for EPUB4. The schema below reflects a discussion we had in Toronto, whereby

- PWP may stay as a "conceptual" term for a packaged version of WP (essentially looking at issues whether there are additional, e.g., manifest requirements if a WP gets packaged by whatever means)
- EPUB4 may use the PWP but essentially re-using the packaging format used by EPUB3 (or maybe a simplification thereof).

In other words, EPUB4 may not be dependent on the advancement of Web Packaging. Actually, the possibility of using the EPUB3 packaging format was always an option, regardless of the state of Web Packaging.

Sincerely

Ivan

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 02:26, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp <mailto:eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>> wrote:
>
> In the charter,  EPUB4 is described as "a functional profile
> of the general idea of Packaged Web Publications that may
> deliver a higher degree of comprehensive accessibility
> capabilities and reliability".  I thus think that the schedule for
> EPUB 4 should be
>
> <On hold pending requirements and potential Web Packaging finalization>
>
> Regards,
> Makoto

> Hi WP-ers,
>
> Please see below for the updated milestones for the WP/PWP/EPUB4 deliverables as suggested by Tzviya, Ivan, and me.  Baring complaints, we'll codify this in the next few days.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Best,
>    Garth
>
> Web Publications (WP):
> First Public Working Draft (FPWD): Q4 2017
> Candidate Recommendation (CR): Q2 2019
> Recommendation (REC): Q2 2020
>

> Packaged Web Publications (PWP):
> <On hold pending requirements and potential Web Packaging finalization>
> First Public Working Draft (FPWD):
> Candidate Recommendation (CR):
> Recommendation (REC):
>
> EPUB 4:
> First Public Working Draft (FPWD): Q4 2018
> Candidate Recommendation (CR): Q2 2019
> Recommendation (REC): Q2 2020
>

> --
>
> Praying for the victims of the Japan Tohoku earthquake
>
> Makoto

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead