Re: CBOR Tutorial

There are a few informative discussions on this in the Web Packaging repository:

* "Switch to binary format and more." https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/38
* "Inclusion of binary data into a text-based format" https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/10

Cited reasons (as far as I can tell):

* The TAG proposal proved to be more complex to implement than anticipated. Formats like CBOR or DER have pre-existing implementations and are used in other standards so browsers have to support them anyway.
* A good portion of resources packaged are going to be binaries so a binary format would lead to considerable space savings over a text format

Because of the ubiquity of compressed/gzipped HTTP responses and how the package stores responses, many text entries in a package will be stored compressed as binaries and not text.

There’s also a discussion of whether to switch away from CBOR to DER for more secure parsing and better error handling:

* "Consider switching to DER-encoded ASN.1" https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/47

But based on that discussion it seems likely that they’ll stick to CBOR as that’s a simpler format.

Also relevant:

“Explain why we're not using ZIP” https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/45

- best
- Baldur Bjarnason