Re: A followup/writeup on our Monday discussions (was Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills)

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:55:34 +0100
To: Jeff Buehler <jeff.buehler@knowbly.com>
Cc: Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>, Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com>

> I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing that were to happen after
> clearly defining pagination (as a pretty baseline example) and having a
> browser adopt standards and weight for expected pagination behavior is that
> users will want publications without pagination.  Or some alternative chunk
> skipping pagination, or pagination with a schema that is defined by some
> alien numerological schema that arrived to the client in a dream.  Or
> something else that we haven't adopted.

Pagination is probably the hardest thing to implement of all the
affordances that we've listed so far. I don't expect any user agent to
implement pagination without nuking pretty much every author style before
(just like browsers do in their reader mode).

I wouldn't use this one as the first example to illustrate how things would
work (user settings should be way down this list as well).

Other affordances such as:

   - offline access
   - moving between resources from the default reading order
   - accessing the table of contents

... are much better example to illustrate how things would work in the real
world. IMO we shouldn't actually specify how exactly a user agent should
handle those (for instance, navigation through gestures/keys/touch are
equally important, it just depends on the device that you're using and the
convention of the platform).