RE: A followup/writeup on our Monday discussions (was Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills)

> My point was that "publication mode" in the wiki page conflates the concept of

> a specific UI+UX mode (à la reader mode) with the concept of an abstract set

> of affordances that we envision for Web Pubs. Some of these affordances can

> be provided without having to "switch" to a different UI mode.

I'm just catching back up with these discussions, but would it make sense for there to be a scripting API for the affordances that exposes the supported "publication" features and/or exposes other aspects of the reading mode? This perhaps also overlaps with the requests for more information about the rendering during the last EPUB revision (in other words, I'm not sure exactly what it will expose or how, but it would be a way for the author-provided reading layer to shut itself off or selectively determine what features to polyfill).

If we don't have information like that available, then it seems like we end up in a strange place where we're asking the browser to weed out the author-provided interface (it could be done, but is there precedent for this?) or we risk overlapping feature deployment.

Matt