From: MURATA Makoto
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 13:39
To: W3C Publishing Working Group
Subject: Re: definition of Web Publication

-1 to the definition of manifest.

I think that the whole point of a manifest is to organize
constituent resources together.  But the definition in the PWP
document says"to the proper management, rendering,
and so on".  Management may relate to "organize", but

I would like to use the word "organize" (or something better).
I do not want to mention "rendering", because
a stylesheet common to all primary resources is not a
manifest, in my opinion.

Regards,
Makoto

  The DPUB IG proposed a definition of Web Publications [1, 2]

  Here are the short definitions. Please see [1] for the longer definition.

  ·  A Web Publication (WP) is a collection of one or more constituent resources, organized together in a uniquely identifiable grouping that may be presented using standard Open Web Platform technologies.

  ·  A Packaged Web Publication (PWP) is a Web Publication whose constituent resources are combined into a single distributable file, using some standard packaging format.

  ·  In this document, manifest refers to an abstract means to contain information necessary to the proper management, rendering, and so on, of a publication. This is opposed to metadata that contains information on the content of the publication like author, publication date, and so on. The precise format of how such a manifest is stored is not considered in this document.

  If you are happy with these definitions, a simple +1 vote is sufficient. If you are not, please vote -1 and propose revisions.

  Thank you,

  [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/pwp/#whatisawebpublication

  [2] https://www.w3.org/TR/pwp/#terminology

  Tzviya Siegman