From: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:19:20 PM
To: Hadrien Gardeur
Cc: W3C Publishing Working Group
Subject: Re: Proposal: Using HTML's nav element as manifest

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com<mailto:hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>> wrote:
Hello Dave,

You're conflating two different things here:

  *   list of primary resources in reading order (spine in EPUB)
  *   table of contents (which is navigation)

They can be the same thing for a novel like Moby Dick but they can also be vastly different, for instance a ToC could:

  *   only point to some, not all primary resources

It's easy enough to change the visual display of certain list items, or an entire nav element. But I think it's a useful default for everything to appear.

  *   point to the same resource multiple times (for example using fragments to specific locations in a resource)

This is not a problem. We can just say that the "spine" is the unique resources; a TOC can refer to them as many times as needed

  *   point to resources in an order that's not the reading order

I'd be interested to see examples of this; in any case this sounds potentially confusing for the reader.

Saying that a list of primary resources duplicates a ToC (or any other navigation) is therefore incorrect in the general case.

There are tradeoffs to be made, of course.  I feel this proposal makes the vast majority of potential use cases much simpler.

Regards,

Dave