Re: Proposal: Using HTML's nav element as manifest

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Hadrien Gardeur <
hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>

> You're conflating two different things here:
>
>    - list of primary resources in reading order (spine in EPUB)
>    - table of contents (which is navigation)
>
> They can be the same thing for a novel like Moby Dick but they can also be
> vastly different, for instance a ToC could:
>
>    - only point to some, not all primary resources
>
> It's easy enough to change the visual display of certain list items, or an
entire nav element. But I think it's a useful default for everything to
appear.

>    - point to the same resource multiple times (for example using
>    fragments to specific locations in a resource)

This is not a problem. We can just say that the "spine" is the unique
resources; a TOC can refer to them as many times as needed

>    - point to resources in an order that's not the reading order
>
> I'd be interested to see examples of this; in any case this sounds
potentially confusing for the reader.

> Saying that a list of primary resources duplicates a ToC (or any other
> navigation) is therefore incorrect in the general case.

There are tradeoffs to be made, of course.  I feel this proposal makes the
vast majority of potential use cases much simpler.

Regards,

Dave