Re: PROV-ISSUE-212 (three-vs-two-levels): Shold we distinguish between things, entities and entity records in the semantics or just have entities and entity records [Formal Semantics]

This issue appears to be resolved, or at least has not led to any discussion since January, so is closed now.

--James

On Jan 12, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-212 (three-vs-two-levels): Shold we distinguish between things, entities and entity records in the semantics or just have entities and entity records [Formal Semantics]

> Raised by: James Cheney
> On product: Formal Semantics
>
> Quoting from Luc's email that raised this issue:
>
>> PROV-DM identifies three levels
>>  1. things in the world
>>  2. entities, which are characterized things
>>  3. entity records, which are the records we create as part of a provenance record
>>
>> It seems that things are not mentioned in your document. I believe they are
>> important to define specialization/alternates
>

> A number of opinions about this were expressed today.  I'm fairly agnostic - I think the formal semantics can accommodate either three levels (1/2/3) or two (conflating 1 and 2/3).
>
> Discuss.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.