Re: PROV-ISSUE-384 (prov-role-in-attribution): prov:role in attribution or not? [prov-dm]

Hi Tim, Stephan, Graham,

So, you are all defending role, as an alternative way of specializing
relations.  OK.

So, we now need to agree:
1.  on the domain of prov:hadRole
2. on a definition of role that works with this domain

Currently: we have:
/A role is the function of an entity with respect to an activity, in the
context of a usage, generation, association, start, and end./

We seem to be in agreement that we want roles also for
- invalidation

The current definition works for: usage, generation, start, end,
invalidation.

This definition:

/A role is the function of an entity or an *agent* with respect to an
activity

/would also work for association.

It's not clear this definition would work for:
- delegation
    actedOnBehalfOf(ag2,ag1,a)
       a role for which agent ? responsible? delegate?

- attribution
       no activity here.

- communication?
      wasInformedBy(a2,a1) here no entity

- derivation?
     wasDerivedFrom(e2,e1,a,g,u)
       a role for which entity?

So, I would propose:
/A role is the function of an entity or an *agent* with respect to an
activity,/ /in the context of a usage, generation, association, start,
end, and invalidation.
/For all these relations, an activity is subject or object.

Luc