Re: PROV-ISSUE-378 (clarifyHadActivity): clarify hadActivity [Ontology]

Daniel,

On May 21, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Daniel Garijo wrote:

> Hi all,
> following up the discussion we had today in the teleco,
> we could add a "Derivation subclassOf [ on prov:activity max 0 ] ."

Thanks for making this explicit. I agree with this one.

> That would mean that prov:activity should not be used in Derivations
> (or that if you have something with the prov:activity relationship, then it is not
> a derivation).

Correct. the "prov:involvee" on Derivation is the Entity (in line with the "rdf:object rule" of the qualification pattern)

> This would also be applicable for Invalidation, Responsibility and Start.
>
> By the way, I've realized that Invalidation is in the domain of prov:activity
> and prov:hadAvtivity.
> If the activity is optional, then it is not an ActivityInvolvement.

I'd have to double check the constraints document, but an Invalidation is always invalided by _some_ activity, you just don't have to say which.
(this is a min 1 cardinality, which we have been avoiding saying for RL "lightness"; instead, we're relying on the rdfs:domain to say it).

If you do cite the Activity, you use prov:activity; You never use hadActivity on Invalidation.

Do you agree?

> If the activity is not optional, then it shouldn't be in domain of prov:hadActivity.

This is a _very_ good catch.
I now think that Invalidation should be removed from the domain of hadActivity.
(I think this is a reasonable issue to keep under the current ISSUE).

Do you agree?

Thanks!

Tim