Re: Proposal on PROV-DM reorganization

Hi Graham,

I have been experimenting with section 2, and early preview
is visible from

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/model/working-copy/wd6-prov-dm-with-core.html

Some  responses to your comments.

On 21/05/12 12:15, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Re: http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvDM_ConsensusProposal
>
> I think this proposal is an improvement, though it goes less far than
> I personally would choose.  I would still prefer a stand-alone
> document covering the core patterns, but there is apparently no
> appetite for that within the working group so I shall not push that
> point.
>
> Beyond that, here are some specific suggestions relating to your
> proposal:
>
> 1. I'd prefer to see core patterns as a separate top level section
> rather than a sub-section of the overview.  I feel that would help to
> convey its role as a self-contained set of related ideas around which
> the others structures and terms can be used as needed.

I now have three subsections in section 2, respectively related to core,
extended, and components.
I feel they fit well in an overview section. Moving one or all of them
to the toplevel would lead to a proliferation
of toplevel sections, which I am not keen on.

> 2. I'd like the diagram to be at the *start* of the core patterns, not
> at the end.  I believe it can provide a mental framework for a reader
> to relate the concepts as they are described in the ensuing sections.
> I'd also suggest the diagram (per current DM) be revised to be
> visually styled more like the one in the PROV-O document.  (I'll help
> with that if asked.)

Yes, it's done.

The diagram was updated, using another tool.
Now, one can possibly improve on the diagrams, but we do not want to
introduce
an ad-hoc graphical notation. We use UML for all our class diagrams.

> 3. I would not separate Entities/Activities and Derivation into
> separate sub-sections.  When we talk about using provenance in
> applications, I note that we most commonly talk about a "provenance
> trace" - and it is the interconnection of entities, activities,
> generation and usage that gives us derivation, which in my perception
> is a central element of a provenance trace.  Thus, I would suggest
> presenting these concepts together, then introducing agents and
> associated inter-relationships in a separate sub-section.  I think
> this is what Tim suggested in the last teleconference.

The reason for keeping this subsection is that I want to parallel the
component structure.
If people are happy with moving component 3 before component 2 (talk
about derivations before agents),
I am happy to do so. However, I received some push back.

> 4. I'm not sure that "advanced" is the best term for features that are
> not part of the core pattern.  I can live with it, but I'll also try
> and come up with some alternatives.

Now using extended.

> 5. I'm all for looking to improve modularity of the design, as you
> also mention in your proposal.

It's an important aspect of the DM and therefore has been given an
overview section in 2.3

> 6. I'm not sure that it really adds any value to mark core patterns
> throughout the document as you suggest.  Once a reader has
> internalized the core patterns, I think they're pretty obvious when
> they occur.

The only mark up occurs in tables 3/4, section 5.  I am not proposing to
do it anywhere else.

Cheers,
Luc