Re: PROV-ISSUE-371 (junzhao): timestamped provo.owl [PROV-O HTML]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Stephan Zednik <zednis@rpi.edu> wrote:

> As for content negotiation, I think it would be nice
> if http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120503/ was configured to return
> the tagged ontology file as RDF/XML for requests made with accept headers
> specifying "application/rdf+xml".  This would be very clean and would not
> result in the ontology specifying a HG dependent URL.

I am not disagreeing this would be preferable - however we already got
this on http://www.w3.org/ns/prov

> Our WD tagged ontology would have:
>
>     <owl:Ontology rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#">
>         <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">PROV Ontology</rdfs:label>
> <owl:versionIRI
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120503/"/>
>     </owl:Ontology>

However I think the owl:versionIRI should give you (some format of)
OWL file no matter how your request it. So if I copy from my text
editor the version IRI and open it in the browser, I should get the
OWL.

Therefore I would suggest:

 <owl:versionIRI
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120503/prov.owl"
/>

(Ie the same as the 'here' link on
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120503/ )

You can also have an rdfs:seeAlso to
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120503/ to show the right
version of the documentation.

I think for the TR releases this is what owl:versionIRI should say, as
that is what will be preserved 'forever'. The Mercurial site is not
guaranteed to stay there by W3C.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science