Re: PROV-ISSUE-29 (mutual-iVP-of): can two bobs be mutually "IVP of" each other [Conceptual Model]

On 24/03/2012 06:41, Paul Groth wrote:
> Hi
> I'm worried that using specialization in the definition of alternate. It might confuse people or is the intent that alternate is built on specialization?

That was my intention when I suggested (something like) this.

> Also the use of denote doesn't seem to have that common sense ease that the other definitions have.

I use the term "denote" in the sense that it is used in the RDF model theory:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/.  This is, I understand, common usage in this
field.  Unfortunately, it's not mentioned in the glossary there.

Roughly, this corresponds to the interpretation mapping from names (URIs) to
things (Resources).

The nearest synonym I can come up with is "represent", but that word tends
commonly to be be used in fairly imprecise ways, so I end up using "denote" when
I want to be more precise about a specific relationship between a name (or sign,
or expression) and some thing represented.

I think that's fairly consistent with its common meaning; e.g.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/denote?q=denote