Re: prov-o review / comments

On Mar 6, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Paul Groth wrote:

> Hi Khalid
>
> I think the inference in the dm is about the properties - not their reifications per say

Agreed.

> Paul
>
> On Mar 6, 2012, at 18:31, Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I agree that the properties can be free to differ from the "Involvement"
>> hierarchy.
>>
>> Regarding the flattening that you are suggesting in the Involvement
>> hierarchy, I am wondering if it may yield some issues later on. In
>> particular, if there are people who want to inject some inference rules
>> (constraint) in the ontology.
>> For example, an inference rule that can be
>> applied to prov:Association should be also applicable to prov:End and
>> prov:Start (according to the DM), but the flattening suggested will
>> remove that implication.

Since we are being _less_ specific in the proposed hierarchy, they are free to provide the [:End subclassOf :Association] if they need it.
I am betting that most will not need :End to be an :Association, but what they really need to know is that it qualifies the involvement of an Agent (AgentInvolvement).

>> I don't think that the issue I am raising is
>> blocking, but I would like to know if people already thought of it.

The model in DM is upheld by the subproperties, and the Involvements still provide the trigger to the binary relations.
These are the two most important aspects w.r.t. modeling.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to gain some simplicity and readability at the (comparatively small) expense of requiring a reasoning expert to include a subclass relation, which they'll know how to handle.

Regards,
Tim