Re: Membership should be unqualified (Re: PROV-ISSUE-444 (prov-o-to-last-call): Review PROV-O for last call [PROV-O HTML])

Luc,

On Jul 12, 2012, at 4:26 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Dear all, Tim,
>
> After sleeping on this issue, I think there is only one workable outcome:
> Membership should be  a binary relation without associated qualified class.
>
> Context: after F2F3, Dictionaries were dropped from prov-dm, but the n-ary
> membership relation was kept:
> hadMembers(mId, c, {e1, e2, e3}, true, [prov:label="A beautiful collection"])
>
> Recently, Tim re-introduced this relationship in prov-o as a form of Influence.
> There was some push back for membership to be a kind of Derivation. Making it Influence
> and not Derivation would suddenly introduce a new relation in the model we don't
> understand the implications. Not making it an Influence would break the prov-o design.
>
> Some reviewers had suggested to make it binary.  It seems it is the right choice, in
> the circumstances, as the minimum we can agree on, given such a short time.
>
> So, I will implement the changes very shortly.  Please should if there is a problem.
> Tim, ..., sorry to ask, can you revert back to a binary hadMember without associated
> class?

I'm reluctant to revert until we have group consensus, so that I can avoid the risk of re-un-reverting.
Can this be a topic in today's call, perhaps as part of the LC vote?

Thanks,
Tim