Re: PROV-ISSUE-370 (tracedTo-inference-only): Should tracedTo be moved to prov-constraints and be defined as a binary relation that can be inferred [prov-dm]

OK.  I interpreted Luc's request for a use case as meaning "do we have a use-case driven reason to keep it in the standard".  If it's not in the standard, then there is no reason to believe that all systems will recognize it or treat it as transitive.

I was just pointing out that I'm not sure the appropriate constraints on tracedTo assertions are well-understood, thus working them out may represent an additional complexity burden.

--James

On Apr 30, 2012, at 2:48 PM, Paul Groth wrote:

> Err ... I wasn't suggesting that this be part of the standard. I thought Luc was asking where I would use an asserted tracedto edge and this is my use case.
>
> It's nice to have an edge that I know will be treated as transitive by other systems and it's nice to be able to put attributes on it.
>

> Paul
>
> On Apr 30, 2012, at 13:48, James Cheney <jcheney@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> The potential problem with this is that such an assertion could correspond to many different actual situations.  So, if I send you a PROV instance that says
>>
>> tracedTo(foo,bar,[confidence=0.5])
>>
>> and nothing else, what does this mean?  Is it legal to just say tracedTo on its own?  What constraints or inferences apply?
>>
>> This seems to be a way of expressing metadata/beliefs about provenance data, rather than expressing the data itself.  One could do this as an overlay on PROV without requiring everyone that uses PROV to support it, I think.
>>
>> --James
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Paul Groth wrote:
>>
>>> My concrete use case would be to put things like confidence values on
>>> these links. For example, in one of our systems we "guess" if there is
>>> a tracedto and what to put some confidence value on that link. This is
>>> one of the reasons I like attributes in the model.
>>>
>>> We could do this with derivation so it's not a big deal but the nice
>>> thing is that traced to is transitive...
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Paul

>>> --
>>> --
>>> Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
>>> http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
>>> Artificial Intelligence Section
>>> Department of Computer Science
>>> VU University Amsterdam
>>>

>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.