Re: PROV-ISSUE-347 (review-provo-luc): feedback from Luc on prov-o WD [prov-n]

Luc,

^^ I've marked this comment as CLOSED at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Prov-o_draft_review_2_April_2012

> For qualifiedXXX: whenever I read this, I always expect an unqualifiedXXX.   But obviously, it does not exist, there is only a concept XXX.

The unqualified form of qualifiedXXX is the binary predicate (yyy). (e.g. qualifiedUsage and used)
So your expected "unqualifiedXXX" == "yyy". (Also, "unqualifiedXXX" is any sub property of prov:involved, which is in the ontology.)

yyy, qualfiiedXXX, XXX, and {prov:entity, prov:activity, prov:agent) are shown in tables:

http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#qualifed-forms-starting-point
and
http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#qualifed-forms-expanded

Is there something in http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#description-qualified-terms that can help make this clearer?

> The other issue is that the ontology has properties such as hadActivity.
> So, when we say qualifiedXXX, do we mean "to qualify XXX" in the past tense, or "a qualified XXX".

Neither? Both? I'm not sure. This is what I think we're saying:

:activity
   a prov:Activity;              # There is an activity
   prov:used :entity;          # … that used :entity
   prov:qualifiedUsage [
       a prov:Usage;           # … And :activity qualified the usage of something that it used.
       prov:entity :entity;     # … :activity qualified its usage of :entity (as opposed to it's use of some other Entity that it may have used)
       :foo :bar;                     # … :activity's usage of :entity was :foo :bar
   ];
.                                          # I'm done talking about :activity.

> I also suggested dropping "had" in some property names.

All properties with "had" have a domain of prov:Involvement (as of tonight - I just renamed hadLocation to atLocation).
Any "hadXX" like hadActivity differs from "xx" like prov:activity in that hadActivity is NOT citing an object of an unqualified triple, while the latter is.

> Indeed, hadActivity (to have activity) vs qualifiedXXx (not to qualify XXx but a qualified XXX). This does not seem uniform.

What is not uniform about it? The "hadXXX" are properties on Involvements. The "qualifiedXXX" point to Involvements.

> Dropping both qualified and had would help simplifying *labels* (it does not change the interpretation).

But this would ruin the distinctions needed for patterns of use.

prov:hadActivity differs from
prov:activity differs from
prov:qualifiedDerivation differs from
prov:wasDerivedFrom

and the naming conventions for all four of these are uniform for the four different places the they (and their buddies) are used.

Since this discussion resurfaces regularly, I created ISSUE-348

> But that's OK, it was only a suggestion to simplify, and it was not a blocker for release. The real test is the feedback from outside the WG.

Can I close #11 at http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Prov-o_draft_review_2_April_2012#Luc ?

Thanks,
Tim