Re: PROV-ISSUE-319 (dgarijo): Domain of hasAnnotation [Ontology]

Simon,

On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:44 AM, Miles, Simon wrote:

> Hi Daniel, Tim,
>
> OK, I understand this is another RL-related issue and we do the best we can to meet all constraints. You are welcome to close the issue.
>
> It is probably too late to consider at this stage, but would it be solvable by having a class X that is a super-type of Entity and Activity? I've raised the possibility of such a class with individuals for a variety of reasons, e.g. X would be what one asks the provenance of (rather than just entities).

we had prov:Element in prov-o for a while, borrowing the term from DM.

Naming it explicitly and having the two subclasses entity and activity is one "work around" for not having unions, though it's not logically equivalent.

It faded away in favor of simplicity. Also, applying this "work around pattern" in other areas of the ontology led to some awkwardly-named classes hanging around that distracted from the fundamentals (e.g. "Roled" class had subclasses Association, etc. that were allowed to have property prov:hadRole, when a minCard 1 from DL would suffice. Even asserting the minCard 1 on those classes that CAN have hadRole does not PREVENT anything else from having it…. OWA axioms just shouldn't be used to enforce CWA expectations.).

What we're left with is an ontology that can't be used to guide how to write its instance data. We have to rely upon a pile of documentation and examples.

-Tim

Tracker, tuck this under ISSUE-265