Re: writing a simple example in prov-o, help

Hi Paul,

I think the argument you make is the same as implied by my example...
except that the conclusion is different.

As you say, the provenance best practice could be to use permalinks.
So, in the example, the bloggers should use permalinks. They have no
control over what the original YouTube URL deferences to, so cannot
ensure it is a permalink. Unless they have special information, they
can only assume it is not, and so either they:
  (a) cannot say anything about the video at all, or
  (b) need to create their own permalink to refer to the video.
If doing (b), this new URI clearly should connect to the YouTube URL
as it is the video that the provenance is about. However, to make it
into a permalink, there must be something more which ensures it always
describes the same content, i.e. characterisation of the entity. The
provenance then looks like the PROV-OM examples rather than the simple
link.

I'm not clear if you are arguing for option (a) in your email, i.e.
limit people to only refer to things in their provenance when they can
control those thing's immutability, but this seems very restrictive.

I'm not saying I prefer the long-winded provenance data, just that it
appears the desire for interoperability makes it necessary beyond
limited cases.

I think accounts and consistency are tangential issues - there is
nothing inconsistent in what is asserted, the inconsistency comes only
from the ambiguity of what is being asserted about.

Thanks,
Simon

--
Dr Simon Miles