Re: Blog Post: 5 Simple Provenance Statements

Paul,

I think this is a very useful contribution, in that illustrates well the sort of
things we'd like to offer developers, but one which also (for me) highlights a
potential problem.  For cases where we have shortcut properties, the expression
of provenance is easy as you show, but I worry about a possible lack of graceful
refinement/enlargement: that users will have a discontinuity in complexity to
face as soon as they try to express something that is not covered by
"well-known" shortcut properties.

An exercise I'd like to try is to start with the ASN in its current form, and
explore 2-3 ways this might be represented in RDF.  One of these would be the
"direct mapping" represented by the current OWL ontology.  Another would use
named graphs to wrap *all* provenance statements.  A possible third way would
invoke some additional vocabulary to define the mapping between short-cut
properties and the full structure per ASN.

I need to work through this in some detail, but I'm not sure when I'll have
time, so I wanted to float these ideas briefly as a kind of heads-up.

I think it's worth noting that I think the ASN will be very useful as a "pure"
basis for exploring these ideas - I mention this as I may in the past have been
less-than-convinced it was actually serving a useful purpose.