Re: Some thoughts about the revised provenance Model document

On 20/10/2011 16:38, Myers, Jim wrote:

>>> IMO:
>>>
>>> Only
>>>      cf:e2 cf:hasLocation dbpedia:Berlin .
>>>
>>> would be characterizing cf:e2.
>>
>> +1
>
> I agree, and this set of statements implies that the entity is characterized by being in Berlin 'however' Berlin changes. The art exhibit was in Berlin for two months and whether those spanned an election or not does not affect the assertion. (Nor would Berlin annexing a neighboring village and changing its boundaries, etc.)

Yes, that's how I see it.

> I think this brings up the larger question of what the additional RDF statements mean, e.g. are they part of the provenance assertions/does the provenance model give them meaning or are they just non-modeled annotation that, if you understand that third-party language, you can use to find the provenance assertions and entities of interest? If they're out of scope, we can perhaps not talk about them at all, but if we want to allow such statements to, for example, be included in an account and asserted, we may need to define their meaning - i.e. when do we assume Klaus was the leader (when the account was created, some point during the entity's lifetime (perhaps ambiguous if we have multiple entities around), over the duration of an entity/all entities?)

This is an area where I've been trying to look at the "detail".  Cf.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2011Oct/0156.html

The view I'm currently leaning towards is that statements that are unequivocally
provenance are expressed explicitly using the core provenance concepts such as
PEs and agents, etc.

But there may be other RDF statements that can be interpreted as provenance
information, but to do so might require specific knowledge of the vocabulary
used and/or domain of the application.  So:

   ex:aDocument a prov:Entity ;
     dcterms:creator "Meritorious Meerkat" .

might be interpreted as a provenance expression, thus:

   ex:DocumentCreation rdfs:subclassOf prov:ProcessExecution .
   ex:aDocument a prov:Entity ;
     prov:wasGeneratedBy
       [ a ex:DocumentCreation ;
         prov:wasControlledBy
           [ a prov:Agent ;
             foaf:name "Meritorious Meerkat"
           ]
       ] .

But I don't think it would be possible *in the general case* to decide if some
RDF statements are or are not provenance.

> I suggested previously that we might just use the account boundary as a way to distinguish when a statement such as
> cf:e2 cf:hasLocation dbpedia:Berlin was meant to imply that e2 has a fixed/characterizing location of Berlin, versus having the general RDF meaning (as above - no lifetime specified and therefore unclear whether it is asserted as fixed). If we want to ascribe additional meaning to statements about , for example, who was the leader of Berlin, as part of provenance, does an account also help, e.g. putting such an RDF statement in an account is an assertion that it is true for the duration of the account? (And if that's not what you mean, you create an entity to say when it is true, or you leave that statement out of the account/send it as a helpful annotation outside the model).

Hmmm...   is the following too radical?

To the extent that entity descriptions are (part of) provenance expressions, we
don't recognize non-fixed statements in valid provenance expressions.  (Subject
to some outermost context implied by the application - I think there's a version
of the frame problem that can come into play here.  But the immediate concern is
that by accepting a provenance expression, one accepts the fixedness of any
statements about the entity/ies mentioned.)

>>> dbpedia:Berlin is not characterized - unless it was also a prov:Entity.
>>>

>>> Now I don't know the answer for anonymous nodes:
>>>
>>> cf:e2 a prov:Entity.
>>> cf:e2 cf:hasLocation [
>>>      dbpedia-owl:leader [
>>>         foaf:name "Klaus Wowereit"
>>>         dbpprop:nationality dbpedia:Germany
>>>       ],
>>> ]
>>>

>>> My simple reading of this is that cf:e2 has a location of somewhere
>>> where the German called Klaus Wowereit is "the leader" - but neither
>>> Hr Bürgermeister Wowereit or the implied Berlin is a "characterising
>>> attribute".
>>>
>>> If we distance ourselves slightly from the notions of "characterising
>>> attributes" we can just say that the properties stated directly on (or
>>> with?) an entity was true/fixed attributes throughout the lifetime of
>>> the entity. Any nested propertioes might or might not have been true/
>>> throughout that lifetime.  (Thus cf:e2 could have existed in Berlin
>>> before Hr Wowereit became the mayor).
>>
>> That works for me.
>
> I'm not sure we can get an unambiguous interpretation with this model - if Wowereit was mayor of one town and moved to Berlin an became Mayor there, what does the blank node resolve to for provenance purposes. E.g. for RDF, with no sense of time, the interpretation of the blank node can change, but when we connect it to an entity and intend for the location of that entity to be fixed, we need a way to pick one answer.

The blank nodes correspond to existential variables, and as such are not
expected to have an unambiguous interpretation.

So cf:e2 has some location whose leader was named "Klaus Wowereit", etc.  All
that really matters is that the truth of the entire statement is fixed for the
entity concerned.  If the entity moves with Klaus, the location may change but
the truth does not.  (The entity concerned might be Klause himself?)

> I would have read this as e2 as having the location where Wowereit was the leader, which could have been Berlin for part of the time and some other location (Klaus has a favorite paperweight and he's kept it with him wherever he has been leader, and we want to record the provenance of that paperweight - as-a-symbol-of-office-in-his-leadership location so we created e2 to be that characterization.

Yes, quite!  (I should have read ahead in more detail!)

> If I wanted to have the notion that e2's location was Berlin (as a blank node), I would need add a time constraint - e.g. the location Wowereit led after he won the 200x election. That's an entity defined by its provenance and characterizing attributes that, in this example, would be a complement of Berlin corresponding to Berlin-as-led-by-Wowereit.

That's one way.  But as you imply, simply referring to an entity
Berlin-as-led-by-Wowereit might be another.

> No sure how often anyone will want to do this in practice, but I suspect that for the original example and blank node cases, I think the only way to be unambiguous is to define the time range over which the plain RDF statements are asserted to be valid (or treat them as annotations who's meaning is subject to interpretation/out-of-band knowledge.) 'For the lifetime of the account' seems like a good default for that time range. And if you don't want that meaning, you create entities as in the next quoted section below.

Rather than "lifetime of the account", why not "Lifetime of the entity
described."  Unless I've missed something, this discussion is entirely about
statements made directly or indirectly about a prov:Entity, which by it's nature
is completely static or somehow constrained in its existence.