Re: Some thoughts about the revised provenance Model document

Hi all,
Sorry for joining this discussion so late.

Many of GK's point across multiple email threads about Entity and
complementOf seem to make sense to me - maybe the semantic web technologies
stack background...

Regarding the need to explicitly associating "characterizing attributes"
with an entity:
In case of SW (RDF, RDFS, OWL etc.), if we say "provenance of x attributes
of the web page" are we referring to the association of values to the x
attributes of the web page (by person A)?

On the other hand, if we want to distinguish between two versions of the Web
page (and their x attributes) we assign different identifiers to the two
versions of the Web page wp1 and wp2 (and associate version info with both).
But, for provenance applications it is not necessary to have both wp1 and
wp2 along with their x attributes to make additional provenance assertions.
The identifiers wp1 and wp2 in any SW (RDF, OWL) setting are
"self-contained" means/handles to refer to the two versions of the Web
pages.

Similarly, for Jim's example of "Luc", "Luc in Boston", if a provenance
application wants to have a mechanism to make assertions only for "Luc in
Boston" and distinguish it from "Luc in London" then it can have two
distinct identifiers LB and LL and make assertions about it. In fact, they
can be modeled as instances of a specialized Role class called
"PersoninGeographicalLocation" and LB and LL can be instances of the class
(from SW perspective). "LucinGeographicalLocation" is linked to "Luc" the
person by the proposed property "assumedRoleOf".

As we discussed in PROV-ISSUE-89 [1], in the SW context and many knowledge
representation languages such as earlier Frames, semantic networks, and
Topic maps (from my current understanding) having an explicit set of
attribute-value pairs to be "carried" to distinguish entities is not
necessary.

Thanks.

Best,
Satya