Re: Workflow Example in Formal Model HTML document

Hi James,
I am afraid we are mixing up multiple issues here.

>entities are intended to denote "things in the world", while provenance
containers (and accounts) are syntactic things that >don't necessarily
denote real-world things

Every resource/thing in any computer-based information system is a
representative/placeholder of some thing in a "domain of discourse". I am
not sure what metric you are using to define a "thing in the world".

To understand your point better, can you please identify "thing in the
world" among the following examples:
1. "particular execution of a scientific workflow"

2. "a text file on a computer hard drive" (not its print out on paper, that
is a distinct thing)

3. "a signaling pathway in mouse brain" (signaling pathway is a special type
of biological pathway, which is defined as "A *biological pathway* is a
series of actions among molecules in a cell that leads to a certain product
or a change in a cell." from www.genome.gov - in other words there is no
concrete structure that we can touch and say it is a biological pathway)

4. "idea, which is patented, to increase efficiency of petrol-based internal
combustion engine"

In provenance applications, we make provenance assertions about each of the
above four things. Further, almost all of them are used to organize data
(information) as an abstraction mechanism.

>By analogy, in mathematics we can talk about "the set of all people whose
first initial is Z" without there necessarily being >a real-world thing
corresponding to this set.

In Web application (the scope for our WG work) - we are dealing with
representation of "people" and not real persons. Hence, both terms "people"
and "set of people with initial Z" are syntactic constructs we define to
work with and then define rules for their interpretation that associates
semantics with the constructs.

My understanding of both Entity and Provenance Container are in line with
the above points, that is, both are syntactic constructs. Both can be used
represent things in our domain of discourse.

> I think we need to distinguish between syntax and semantics carefully
here.
Exactly, hence I will wait for your mail in response to my above points and
then I will comment on the rest of your mail.

Thanks.

Best,
Satya