Re: PROV-ISSUE-15 (define-views-or-account): Definition for Concept 'Views or accounts' [Provenance Terminology]

Hello,

My proposed starting definition:
 - An account is a record of something that has occurred provided by
one source and taking one perspective in describing what occurred.

Notes:
 - I would expect the provenance of a resource (or whatever provenance
is of) to comprise a set of accounts or parts of accounts, as all the
information within that provenance has to come from somewhere and take
some perspective.
 - The definition does not require that the source be identified -
whether we require it to be seems a design decision not part of
concept definition.
 - The same occurrence (e.g. a "resource" or "process execution")
could be referred to in multiple accounts. I would expect it to be
decision of the account sources whether they are referring to the same
thing in their assertions.
 - "Perspective" could be rephrased as something more concrete. An
example of perspective (from OPM) is the granularity of description:
whether what has occurred is described coarsely or in detail. However,
there may be other useful distinctions in perspective.
 - Every occurrence included in some provenance data would be part of
at least one account (if it had not been documented, it could not be
included). This may be a distinction from OPM, where I believe
entities can be included in provenance without being in an account.

Thanks,
Simon

On 20 May 2011 08:38, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker
<sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> PROV-ISSUE-15 (define-views-or-account): Definition for Concept 'Views or accounts'   [Provenance Terminology]

> Raised by: Luc Moreau
> On product: Provenance Terminology
>
> The Provenance WG charter identifies the concept 'Views or accounts' as a core concept of the provenance interchange language to be standardized (see http://www.w3.org/2011/01/prov-wg-charter).
>
> What term do we adopt for the concept 'Views or accounts'?
> How do we define the concept 'Views or accounts'?
> Where does concept 'Views or accounts' appear in ProvenanceExample?
> Which provenance query requires the concept 'Views or accounts'?
>
> Wiki page:http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ConceptViewsOrAccounts

Dr Simon Miles
Lecturer, Department of Informatics
Kings College London, WC2R 2LS, UK