Re: PROV-ISSUE-1 (define-resource): Definition for concept 'Resource' [Provenance Terminology]

Hi Luc,

On 24/05/2011 09:40, Luc Moreau wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am pleased to see that some definitions are being uploaded on the
> wiki; in particular, I see definitions of resources, which I would
> like to begin debating during the teleconference this week.
>
> For now, I just use this definition:
>
>    A resource can be anything that might be identified by URI
>
> Going back to the Data Journalism example [1], it is not entirely clear
> that such a notion of resource encapsulates all the "data entities" that
> we find here.    I can see r1 and r2 being resources.
>
> However, what about f1, which, for instance, could have been generated
> by an xslt transform over d1. f1 could be a file on the local file
> system, which then
> is made available later as a resource r1.
>
> Likewise, lcp1 is a local copy of a serialization of r1.  Again, lcp1
> could be a file
> on the file system.
>
> Are lcp1 and f1 resources?

I think the reason you need to raise these questions is due to your
current definition of Resource.

Although we are charted under Semantic Web activities and aim at
creating a provenance vocabulary for the Web, it does not mean that an
object whose provenance information to be described must be accessible
on the Web nor identified by an URI, right?

I felt the proposed definition might be too narrow by introducing
identifiable by URI as one feature of a Resource. Please correct me if
you do believe this is the scope we must work with in the WG.

cheers,

Jun