Re: Kickstarting the Provenance Access and Query Task Force

Olaf,

I'm a little puzzled by your response.  I accept that you may not intend to
carry forward aspects of the provenance XG report relating to web architecture
about which I have concern.  That's fine, and having indicated my view I'm happy
to wait to see how things develop.

But I'm surprised that you don't regard the Powder work as addressing the
problem.  Maybe I misunderstand the problem.  The provenance XG report section 6
says:

"This section discusses possibilities to integrate provenance into the Web
architecture. It focuses on how provenance information about Web resources could
be exposed as part of the HTTP based message exchange with which these resources
can be accessed."

Which I take to be exactly the kind of problem that the POWDER work addresses,
and the point of this group's work on provenance access.

To my mind, accessing provenance information on the Web should be simple:  just
use HTTP (or, more broadly, just use web resource retrieval).  The remaining
issues, then, are (a) how to know that provenance information is available, and
(b) what URI to use to retrieve it.  (And POWDER seems to address these concerns.)

So it seems to me that either I'm not properly understanding the problem to be
addressed, or the XG discussion is making it over-complicated.

If I'm missing something here, I'd really like to know what it is.

Maybe what we really need here is a clear statement (and consensus) of the
problem to be addressed?