Re: Kickstarting the Provenance Access and Query Task Force

Hey Khalid,

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 20:30:52 Khalid Belhajjame wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it is a good idea to start from the work done by the incubator
> rather than starting from scratch.
> So, I agree with Olaf's idea.
>
> In the case that this is accepted by other members, I would like to draw
> the attention to the following point.
> The focus in Section 6 [1] seems to be on how the representation of a
> web resource obtained via HTTP can be enriched with provenance
> information about that resource.

Not only. First, it may not be the provenance of the Web resource but i) of
an actual representation of such a resource or ii) of a specific state of such
a Web resource (Sec.6.2 discusses this point). Furthermore, while enriching
with provenance information is one option (the XG report calls that "Passing
by Value"), just providing a pointer to a provenance description is another
option (called "Passing by Reference" in the report).

> While useful, I was wondering whether other kind of queries, that are
> about provenance, could be supported, or whether they are outside the
> scope of the PAQ TF.
> An example query could be, "did resource r1 contribute to the content of
> resource r2?"

I don't know what -in general- you mean by "other kind of queries, that are
about provenance" but regarding your example query I would say that it should
be possible to answer such a question by looking at the provenance of r2.

BTW, a question which is more difficult (probably impossible) to answer is:
"what are all the (Web) resources to which the content of r1 contributed."
(This is like asking for all Web pages that link to a specific Web page - a
question impossible to answer completely).

Cheers,
Olaf