Re: Fwd: Using Statement Identifiers to Manage Provenance

Paul Groth wrote:
 > Some interesting background info around implementing provenance in
 > triple stores.

This seems like rehashing an old topic to me.  I'm not seeing anything here that
isn't covered by reification.  (The complaint about reification triple-bloat is
really a complaint about one particular implementation technique.  I think most
serious triple stores that actually handle reification use an internal quad
mechanism.)  The real problems with reification are (a) the lack of a clear
semantics, leading to early implementations with divergent semantics, and (b)
the main use-cases for reification seem to be more readily addressed by named
graphs.

My current sense is that RDF community consensus favours named graphs:
(1) the SPARQL syntax makes explicit provision for querying named graphs,
(2) the current RDF working group is giving consideration to including a
mechanism to encode named graphs within a single RDF documemt
(3) even when using RDF without named graph support, named graphs map directly
to a natural web-based implementation: RDF documents retrievable from web URIs.
(4) many RDF triple-store implementations include named graph support at the API
level, which may also be accessible via SPRQL queries (I know Jena/TDB supports
this)

My sense is that named graphs are a more convenient way to apply provenance
information.  I would suggest that, in typical use, it is not single RDF triple
to which one wants to attach provenance information, but a collection of triples
from a common source.