Re: concept illustrations for the data journalism example

Hi Martin,

FWIW, one of the themes I have at the back of my mind is to assess how the
emerging provenance model and vocabularies can be used with the CIDOC-CRM style
of event-mediated structure, but not as something I think should be a prime
concern of this working group ... at least not at this early stage.

I've noticed that there seem to be some subtle differences of expectation around
the term "provenance" between the CompSci "provenance" community (mostly
represented here), and the other communities who use CRM and similar descriptive
frameworks.  I haven't yet fully recognized the extent of the differences; it's
something else I hope to tease out over time.

It's a nice point you make about the "terminal" nature of raw observations,
though I'm wondering how clear the dividing line will be.  Imagine things like
the Large Hadron Collider experiments where what is being observed is a
secondary effect of some primary event, the data from which is passed through
several stages of detection and correlation/condensation hardware before getting
close to being presented to a computer.  I think there's scope here to move the
provenance terminal boundary according to one's current needs.