Re: Access and query TF - actions for WG

Hi Khalid,

I agree with your point below. From a coordination point of view, I
suggest we keep the scope as it is until Thursday, giving everyone a
chance to comment on the current scope, proposals and issues, and then
revise the scope to better cover the proposals we have.

Thanks,
Simon

On 20 June 2011 19:40, Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the discussion in this thread calls for a clarification
> (reformulation) in the scope section.
>
> It seems so far that there is an agreement that a URI that identifies
> the provenance of a thing should be provided, and there is disagreement
> on whether we should specify the location or the mechanism (service)
> used to locate the provenance.
> This does not seem to be reflected in the scope section, where the
> location of where the provenance is to be retrieved is given and the
> identity of provenance is not.
>
> khalid
>
> On 20/06/2011 14:40, Graham Klyne wrote:
>> Luc Moreau wrote:
>>> Hi Graham,
>>> Thanks for the clarification.
>>>
>>> It seems that our two proposals only differ by this:
>>> - your proposal is to provide a provenance-URI where to retrieve
>>> provenance
>>> - mine is to provide an identity I and a service location L, out of
>>> which a provenance-URI can be composed.
>>> Otherwise, I think the proposals are identical.
>>> Would you agree?
>>
>> Er, yes, but that seems to me to be more different than similar.  I
>> think the notion of "composing" a URI from an identity and a location
>> is problematic and unnecessary.
>>
>> In my view, we just have an identifier, or several identifiers without
>> specifying how it is (they are) minted, (some of) which MAY also be a
>> location.  Either way, any identifier can be used with third party
>> services if so desired.
>>
>>> My only motivation for my proposal is that I can use identity I with
>>> multiple services L1, L2, ... of my choice
>>> to obtain different provenance.
>>>
>>> It would be good to see whether we want to consider this requirement
>>> or not? Any views in the WG?
>>
>> Of course.  I think I've indicated mine :)
>>
>> (For the avoidance of doubt: I think the possibility of use with third
>> party services *is* a requirement, but I don't think we need to say
>> anything special about the construction of the identifier to make that
>> possible.)
>>
>> #g
>> --
>>

>>> Cheers,