Re: Definitions and provenance and invariance

Luc,

I agree with Graham here. I think it's just a matter of wording,
nothing fundamental, but could lead to people misunderstanding the
model.

I think the example you give of "identity" is what most people (or at
least I) would call a "distinguishing feature". Being integral to
identity is, colloquially, a stronger requirement: it suggests that
the property is important to understanding what that thing is, not
merely one that distinguishes the thing from other things. You could
argue that all distinguishing features are important from some
perspective, but I suggest that is not how "identity" is commonly
understood.

As with Graham, I think we're more likely to get correct usage of the
model if we say nothing at all. I don't see a case for separating
distinguishing features from invariant properties in general.

Thanks,
Simon

On 20 June 2011 12:52, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> You may be right,  can you explain how you understand it?
> Luc
>
> On 06/20/2011 11:22 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>> It seems we understand the phrase "integral to identity" somewhat
>> differently, so that's a different reason not use it as part of the
>> definitions of "things" and "invariant views".  The more you say, the
>> more room there is for disagreement ...
>>
>> #g
>> --
>>
>> Luc Moreau wrote:
>>> Hi Simon and Graham,
>>>
>>> I added a response to Graham's comment on invariant property and
>>> identity.
>>> See
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ConceptInvariantViewOnThing#Comments
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Luc

> --
> Professor Luc Moreau
> Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
> University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
> Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
> United Kingdom                     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm

Dr Simon Miles
Lecturer, Department of Informatics