Re: PROV-ISSUE-46 (where-is-D-in-provenance): Where do I find document D in provenance [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

Given that we're here to create standards and supporting documents, I think one
of the key principles should be:  does it address a sufficiently compelling need
with sufficient simplicity that developers will implement it?  And thus, the
implementation really does matter - I don't think it's reasonable to divorce
implementation concerns from the solution.

To my mind, we're in danger of solving a non-problem here. If someone gives me a
USB stick with an HTML file on it, why should I take notice of metadata in the
HTML file about its origin when it has just been handed to me by someone I
presumably trust?  Of course, you can always find edge cases, but
standardization isn't about solving edge cases (except if you do security
standards), but primarily about addressing common cases, where the effort (i.e.
cost) of standardization is amortized by scale of usage.

That said, if there's a real consensus that this is a real problem worth
solving, then I'd suggest a simple defining a second link relation type for the
purpose.  That is lightweight enough that some developers might just implement
it even if they don't perceive much value.