Re: Formal semantics notes

James,

I took a look at the semantics paper you mentioned
(http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/5828/1/2001-1841.ps).

You mention the relationship to programming language semantics ... I see a
correspondence to *denotational* programming language semantiucs, but less ure
about axiomatic and/or operational approaches there.

The notion of "Interpretation" you use seems very similar to that used in model
theory (e.g. for FOL and DLs), but then I think you use it in quite a different
way.  But I'm not sure if that's driven specifically by the preservation
scenario you address there.  I need to think on that.

The big uncertainty, for me, is what it is that populates the "Information
content space".  For denotational programming language semantics (as I
understand them) you have a space of lambda expressions, and I think there is a
reasonable notion there of reduction and equivalence-determination - at least
for those that correspond to computable functions (cf. Dana Scott work from the
1970s?).  But when your domain of discourse is expanded to things that exist in
the wider world, or descriptions of them, I'm not sure what would populate this
space.

Model theory takes an approach of using the interpretation to map terms in some
language to concepts in an unspecified domain of discourse, and identifying
those interpretations (i.e. "models") that satisfy relations necessary for
intended meanings of the language to hold.  But this assumes as a starting point
a notion of a language with wffs and variables, which is not the same as the
bag-of-bits "object state space" suggested by your paper.  I don't know if such
an approach would help with the preservation scenario you address.

Ultimately, I think we need to have a (clearer?) sense of what kinds of
questions we want any formal semantics to help us address.

Just some fodder for discussion... :)