Re: Proposals to vote on related to 'event': deadline Dec 14th midnight GMT

+1 for Proposal 1
+1 for Proposal 2
-1 for Proposal 3, as I find "event" a lot clearer than "action"

Reasons why I think Proposal 3 is unnecessary:

As far as I understood from earlier discussion, the problem with the
term "event" was that an event is not intuitively instantaneous,
outside of special usage in process algebra etc. I also argued on a
separate thread on Prov-O that "being instantaneous" was something
that could never be honestly asserted, as what is instantaneous for
one asserter may be decomposed by another. We cannot force asserters
to give the time an event occurs to a second if they only know it at
the granularity of a day, and even if they could, many other events
may be separately asserted to happen at different points during that
second.

Proposals 1 and 2 seem to remove the requirement that the events be
instantaneous, so Proposal 3 seems unnecessary. You did say, "It's
also also fine, I believe, to regard this as instantaneous", but I
take this to imply it is also fine to regard an event as
non-instantaneous? I can't see we lose anything by this flexibility.

Thanks,
Simon

On 14 December 2011 10:20, Daniel Garijo <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es> wrote:
> [...]
>>>    conflicting manner.  On the one hand, in [2], it states that
>>>    generation is an event, so is instantaneous.  On the other hand, in
>>>    [3], it states that completion of generation is the event.
>>>
>>> In a generation, what we care about is the point at which the entity
>>> becomes available for consumption by others.  Before that, it's not an
>>> entity yet (or it is not this entity being generated).  So, calling
>>> the whole of generation an event (forget the choice of word for now)
>>> is not what was intended.  The event is the point at which generation
>>> is complete.
>>>
>>> This is actually nice reflected in Olaf and Jun's provenance
>>> vocabulary [4], where they have a similar concept, called Data
>>> Creation defined as:
>>>
>>>     DataCreation is a class that represents the completed creation of a
>>> data item.
>>>

>>> Note the choice of word *completed*.
>>>
>>> PROPOSALS:
>>>

>>> We therefore propose to change the definition of Generation [2] as
>>> follows.
>>> - With proposals 1 and 2, resolve the conflicting definitions around
>>> generation (and use) in prov-dm.
>>> - With proposal 3, adopt another name for event.
>>>

>>> PROPOSAL 1. Adopt the following Definition for generation.
>>> In PROV-DM, a generation record is a representation of a
>>> world event, the completed creation of a new entity by an
>>> activity. This entity did not exist before this event; this entity is
>>> available for usage after this event.
>>>

>>> Comment: With this, we are not saying that creation of an entity is
>>> the event, it's the completed creation that is an event.  It's also
>>> also fine, I believe, to regard this as instantaneous.  Also, if
>>> somebody wants to model the actual creation, it is also fine, they can
>>> use activities for that.
>>>
>>> For usage, we would take a similar approach. In the provenance
>>> vocabulary, they use the completed access to a data structure, but
>>> this is not right for what we want. Instead:
>>>
>>> PROPOSAL 2. Adopt the following Definition for usage.
>>> In PROV-DM, a usage record is a representation of a world
>>> event: the start of an entity consumption by an activity. Before this
>>> event, this entity was not consumed or used in any form or shape by
>>> the activity, totally or partially.
>>>
>>> Comment: These definitions are now exactly in line with those in [3].
>>>

>>> PROPOSAL 3. Replace the word event by action.
>>>
>>> Comment: So, prov-dm would define four actions: entity
>>> generation/entity usage/activity start/activity end, which are all
>>> instantaneous.  These actions would have "effects" on the system in
>>> the sense that they change the entities and activities it contains.
>>>
>>> Assuming proposal 3 is adopted, obviously, the text of proposals 1 and
>>> 2 would use the word 'action'.
>>>

>>> Can you express your support, or counter-proposals, by Wednesday midnight
>>> GMT.
>>> Assuming there is support, we would incorporate all these changes before

>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#dfn-Generation
>>> [3]
>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#types-of-events
>>> [4]

--
Dr Simon Miles
Lecturer, Department of Informatics

Handling Mitigating Circumstances for Electronic Contracts:
http://eprints.dcs.kcl.ac.uk/1283/