Re: How to attach a prov graph to an RDF Triple?

Hi Simon,

No, with RDF* it is not possible to _directly_ annotate the same triple
with multiple separate groups of metadata. That is the only limitation
of RDF* in comparison to RDF reification, singleton properties, and
single-triple named graphs.

However, I do not think that this is a real problem. It is always
possible to model such cases by introducing a proxy resource for every
group of metadata. In the PROV case this happens automatically because
the PROV activities are such type of proxies. For instance, for the
triple (:bob, foaf:age, 23), you may have (in Turtle*):

<<:bob foaf:age 23>>  prov:wasGeneratedBy  exc:gen1 .
exc:gen1  rdf:type  prov:Activity .

...and now all the information about how the triple was generated can be
captured in terms of the activity exc:gen1.
If the same triple, (:bob, foaf:age, 23), was generated again, you may
simply do:

<<:bob foaf:age 23>>  prov:wasGeneratedBy  exc:gen2 .
exc:gen2  rdf:type  prov:Activity .

...and use activity exc:gen2 to capture all the information about this
second way of generating the triple.

A similar modeling approach can be used for the isMarriedTo example that
you refer to. I should mention, however, that in my opinion this example
in the singleton properties paper is a misleading example of bad
modeling practice, because it mixes metadata about the triple(s) and
additional statements about the relationship represented by the triple.
I mean, some of the predicates that they mention are metadata
(hasSource, extractedOn, hasScore), whereas the others are not
(hasStart, hasEnd, tookPlaceAt). The metadata ones can be combined via
proxy resources as I mentioned above, and for modeling the non-metadata
ones it would be better to replace the single triple by multiple triples
that talk about a marriage entity (with bride, groom, start, end, etc).

Best,
Olaf