W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pronunciation@w3.org > May 2019

Minutes: W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, May 22, 2019

From: Sam Kanta <sam.kanta@thesustainablechange.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 15:02:56 +0000
To: "public-pronunciation@w3.org" <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Message-ID: <MWHPR22MB09413430584E275111DAA03487000@MWHPR22MB0941.namprd22.prod.outlook.com>
Thanks, everyone.

The meeting minutes are available via https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html, as well as full text of the meeting included in this email.


Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference
22 May 2019
Attendees

Present
paul_grenier, Roy, irfan_ali, Sam, janina, Dee, SteveNoble, Markku
Regrets
John, Foliot
Chair
Irfan_Ali
Scribe
Sam
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   TPAC 2019<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item01>
     *   User Scenarios<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Gap Analysis<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Use case document<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Timeline<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item05>
     *   other business<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item06>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2019/05/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

<paul_grenier> \

<Roy> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pronunciation/2019May/0009.html

<paul_grenier> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/pronunciation/master/gap-analysis/index.html

<irfan_ali> scribe: Sam

TPAC 2019

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/2019/09/TPAC/registration.html

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Janina: Registration is open. June 21 deadline, lowest pre-conference fee - it doubles in price after that date. Please add any talking issues to the Topics WIKI.

User Scenarios

<irfan_ali> https://w3c.github.io/pronunciation/user-scenarios/

<irfan_ali> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pronunciation/2019May/0009.html

<irfan_ali> sam: its not in finished form but organized ina way to focus on various kind of use

<irfan_ali> sam: we are not only writing standards but that is consumed by people who uses TTS

<irfan_ali> sam: also included summary about user-scenarios

<irfan_ali> sam: some of the detailed and high-level use cases has been added as a starting point.

<irfan_ali> sam: language needs to be consistent and we can keep adding as people come with different scenarios.

Feedback due by May 31st, 2019.

<scribe> scribe: Sam

Gap Analysis

<irfan_ali> https://w3c.github.io/pronunciation/gap-analysis/

Irfan: All technologies included in the table, compared with SSML.

Mark: Still a work in progress. Issues and comments are welcome at any point. Observation: It is evident that SSML is capable of sending all text attributes to AT. CSS3 speech doesn't explicitly address all. HTML is limited in support, also similar with ARIA.
... not aware of semantic markup to change pronunciation of spoken text. However, emphasis <em> demonstrates capability for some modifications to pronunciation.

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to discuss html lang

Janina: discussed on an ARIA call.
... Do we want to collect all languages used - included in the meta data. Mark: log as an issue.

Use case document

Irfan: need to upload latest changes.

Paul: SSML + JSON - there are references from Amazon. Will distribute information to the group. Examples on the test page/prototype are not valid markup.

Irfan: will correct anything in the prototype, based on feedback.

Apple not wanting to adopt SSML per se

Paul: prefer comments in issues list, facilitates efficiency for bulk inserts, etc.

Janina: Email can also be used for Issue responses with GitHub

Paul: Notifications settings can be adjusted in GitHub.

Timeline

Irfan: As per W3C policy, a separate page for Timeline needed. Irfan will add this to his "to-do" agenda.

Janina: documents required by early August, in order to have them published by TPAC.

Irfan: August 16, 2019.

Janina: regrets for next week, in advance

other business

Mark and Dee may also be unavailable next week. Irfan will look at attendance next week and notify team.


________________________________
Sam Kanta, PhD
Principal UX Researcher | W3C Invited Expert
The Sustainable Change LLC

e:  sam.kanta@thesustainablechange.com
p: 208.440.4246
Received on Wednesday, 22 May 2019 15:03:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:49:46 UTC