Re: Draft IG Charter -- Your Comments, Please

On 2007-05-22 21:08:20 +0200, Louis-François Pau wrote:

> The Interest Group hosts discussions both of architectural,
> language and application interest in view of possible
> standardization. It's focus is on how diverse user-lead privacy
> requirements can be implemented in languages. It will consider
> use cases in the privacy, access control, identity management and
> obligation management areas driven by individuals' needs.  The
> IG's privacy language work will specify needed functionalities to
> support in languages privacy negotiations, compliance and
> evaluation schemes in the presence of diverse end user
> requirements by individuals.

That wording narrows the scope and focus of the proposed Interest
Group considerably.  Given the breadth of discussions at the
workshop last year, I'd rather not do that.

Also, it is not clear at this point that an Interest Group will
really secify anything. Hoever, the phrase "The IG's privacy
language work will specify needed functionaliteis etc." suggests a
concrete specification that matches certain requirements as a
deliverable.

In terms of the topics that are to be addressed, I've changed that
paragraph as follows to take your proposal into account:

	The Interest Group hosts discussions both of architectural
	and application interest; it will, in particular, consider
	use cases in the compliance, privacy, access control,
	identity management and obligation management areas, with
	specific attention to diverse user-led privacy requirements.
	The group may explore the use of relevant technologies
	toward delivering interoperability frameworks for policy
	languages. Relevant technologies include Semantic Web
	technologies, and the work of the W3C Rule Interchange
	Working Group, and advanced policy negotiation and
	evaluation frameworks.

> Implementation must be interoperable with Semantic Web
> technologies, suitable SLA standards, and other standardized
> policy negotiation & management frameworks.

That, too, seems to suggest that the Interest Group would, as a
group, work on a concrete implementation.  While I certainly can't
rule that out, the fairly broad interoperability requirements that
you list here might be a result of group consensus, but strike me as
far too limiting for a charter in the way in which you have phrased
them.

I've updated the copy of the charter that's online here:

  http://www.w3.org/Policy/2007/ig-charter

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>