Re: Privacy CG draft charter

> On Sep 28, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > there is no harm from leaving incubation in scope for PING
>
> I don't understand this point in the charter.  I wish I had understood that the proposed PING charter language apparently refers to *technical spec* incubation before the ballot closed, because I would have pushed for us to formally object.
>
> Interest Groups are not an appropriate venue for technical spec incubation.

I agree with this general sentiment. Incubating policy documents or material like the Privacy Threat Model is wholly appropriate. But the lack of sufficient IPR policy is suboptimal for technical specifications.

That said, I support the work of PING and I hope we can work this out appropriately.

> The process document says:
> 5 Working Groups and Interest Groups
>
> This document defines two types of groups:
> Working Groups. <https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#GroupsWG> Working Groups typically produce deliverables (e.g., Recommendation Track technical reports <https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#rec-advance>, software, test suites, and reviews of the deliverables of other groups). There are additional participation requirements described in the W3C Patent Policy <https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy>.
> Interest Groups. <https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#GroupsIG> The primary goal of an Interest Group is to bring together people who wish to evaluate potential Web technologies and policies. An Interest Group is a forum for the exchange of ideas.
> Also, AFAICT IG's operate under the Disclosure Requirements subset of the patent policy. [BTW, the links in the draft charter the AC voted on are broken].  CG's  do spec incubation work under an explicit, lightweight patent policy.  While they don't necessarily operate under a consensus process, we can tweak the Privacy CG description to be an informal charter requiring consensus decisions, buy-in from multiple implementers on spec proposals, and so forth.

CGs get to define their own decision policy, so we should probably define one in the draft charter. (I will send a separate email on this topic specifically).

> > My preference and recommendation is to not change the PING charter at this
> > time.  We all understand the new split of work proposed above,
>
> I can live with that, but wonder what others think about moving PING from an IG to a WG fairly soon?  It's clear that the W3C privacy community wants to a more authoritative voice, and that implies it should workvia the WG consensus process and patent policy.   Creating a WG iprobably sn't necessary until the proposed CG incubates specs ready for the standards track, but it's worth some up-front discussion.

I’d expect Privacy CG to produce two kinds of deliverables:

- Specifications for new privacy-focused additions to the web platform.
- Proposals for changes to existing core web and internet specifications, for example, to support partitioning or equivalent protections for all client-side storage.

Once there are items in the first category, it would be great to have a WG to drive them through the full standards process. The reason not to start with a WG is that WGs need to explicitly define their standards-track deliverables in the charter. But there are not many things that clearly agreed on.

For items in the second category, it’s likely the action would be to file issues and pull requests, once the proposals are sufficiently developed.

There are also existing examples of paired CGs and WGs, for example for WebAssembly, and such a setup seems to work well.

I think promoting PING to a WG might be the right path, once there’s enough clarity