Re: Privacy CG draft charter

> there is no harm from leaving incubation in scope for PING

I don't understand this point in the charter.  I wish I had understood that the proposed PING charter language apparently refers to *technical spec* incubation before the ballot closed, because I would have pushed for us to formally object.

Interest Groups are not an appropriate venue for technical spec incubation. The process document says:
5 Working Groups and Interest Groups

This document defines two types of groups:

     *   Working Groups.<https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#GroupsWG> Working Groups typically produce deliverables (e.g., Recommendation Track technical reports<https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#rec-advance>, software, test suites, and reviews of the deliverables of other groups). There are additional participation requirements described in the W3C Patent Policy<https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy>.
     *   Interest Groups.<https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#GroupsIG> The primary goal of an Interest Group is to bring together people who wish to evaluate potential Web technologies and policies. An Interest Group is a forum for the exchange of ideas.

Also, AFAICT IG's operate under the Disclosure Requirements subset of the patent policy. [BTW, the links in the draft charter the AC voted on are broken].  CG's  do spec incubation work under an explicit, lightweight patent policy.  While they don't necessarily operate under a consensus process, we can tweak the Privacy CG description to be an informal charter requiring consensus decisions, buy-in from multiple implementers on spec proposals, and so forth.

> My preference and recommendation is to not change the PING charter at this
> time.  We all understand the new split of work proposed above,

I can live with that, but wonder what others think about moving PING from an IG to a WG fairly soon?  It's clear that the W3C privacy community wants to a more authoritative voice, and that implies it should work via the WG consensus process and patent policy.   Creating a WG iprobably sn't necessary until the proposed CG incubates specs ready for the standards track, but it's worth some up-front discussion.