Re: Proposed W3C Charter: Privacy Interest Group (PING) (until 2019-08-04)

The Formal Objection was in regards to the IG charter.  In particular, we
asked that a formal deliverable be added to formalize the model of privacy
and privacy threats.  Jeffrey's proposal can be a good starting point for
that, certainly, but I think this should work like the TAG's Design
Principles - it's a living guidance document, and it should make it clear
what is being assessed by the PING review process.  If new types of privacy
concerns arise, they should be added to the document.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the resolution (or not) of the FO, as it's
being addressed by the W3C in member-confidential space (and this is a
public mailing list).  The only comment I'd make at this point is that I
don't think this should impede any work the IG is currently doing, and I
expect this to get resolved in fairly short order.

As for the PING's process, I do share your concerns (in the email you sent
to the list previously) - the workmode in that doc lists strictures that it
can't, by itself, enforce.  (E.g. if you want to prevent specifications
from going to Recommendation status without earning a green light from
PING, you'd have to get that put into the Process document and adopted by
the Advisory Committee.  The Advisory Board nominally manages the Process
and brings it to the AC for a vote, but in practice years ago we set
up a Process
Community Group <https://www.w3.org/community/w3process/> to encourage
others to participate in improving the Process, so you can always propose
changes there.)